September 7, 2011

Featured Member WeirdWoollyDesigns

This weeks featured member is WeirdWoollyDesigns!



Tell us a bit about yourself and your shop.
I’ve always loved making things.  I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t working on one craft project or another.  When I was a kid I’d often choose to stay home and work on a sewing project rather than going out with friends. (Sounds terribly anti-social, but it’s true!).   As far as needlework goes, I started out doing traditional embroidery & cross stitch.  I got into a kind of freestyle embroidery about 8 years ago when I discovered Katherine Shaughnessy book The New Crewel.  From there I started designing my own patterns.  I eventually started incorporating fabric paint and multiple types of threads in with my embroidery- to get more vivid colors and a variety of textures.
I’d describe my work as a modern, pop-art version of embroidery.  In my Etsy shop, Weird Woolly Designs, I carry a variety of wall art, some embroidered accessories and my latest items- embroidery patterns.

What or Who inspires you?
I get inspiration from great fabric patterns, designers like Anna Maria Horner, my cat Beans and baking among other things.


When you're not doing things for your shop can we find you around the internet?
You can read about all of my crafty adventures on my blog Weird and Woolly: Crafting a Life.  I can also be found on myFacebook fan page and on Twitter.

What's your favorite stitch or what do you like most about needlework?
I use a lot of simple split stitches in my work- I like the clean, modern look of that.  On the other end of the spectrum, I’ve recently discovered turkey work & the Ghiordes knot – which is even better than a satin stitch at creating super puffy, 3D designs!  What I like most about needlework is how relaxing and almost meditative it is.  I think most stitchers would agree that it’s kind of addictive.  


Where do you like to stitch (do you have a cozy spot, a favorite chair, a totally tricked out studio?)
I dream of having a comfy chaise lounge in a tricked out studio, but for now I do most of my stitching on the couch or wherever my favorite people (my husband & my cat) tend to be at the time.

How did you learn to stitch? 
My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was a kid and from there I moved on to cross-stitching.  I loved stitching but hated count out all of the tiny squares!  I also got bored with doing traditional needlepoint patterns- I longed for something a little bit more contemporary.  When I first came across modern freehand embroidery I immediately knew that I had found the perfect medium that would allow me to translate my contemporary, graphic designs into bold, vibrant and fibery art.


(And just for fun) If you were a pizza topping, what pizza topping would you be? 
I’d be the Cheese.  It’s plain and simple, there’s nothing fancy about it- kind of like a split stitch. (I’m starting to see a pattern here J).

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We hope you'll enjoy the community here at EtsyNEAT!