April 12, 2011

Tips and Tricks Tuesday: Huck or Swedish Embroidery

One of my favorite retro embroidery styles is Swedish embroidery, often referred to as huck embroidery since it often uses huck toweling. (Monk's cloth is another popular base for this style, especially when creating hand embroidered afghans.) It is also referred to as Swedish weaving since it alternates the threads of the embroidery floss with the threads of the toweling.

Coats and Clark offers a free PDF on their website that includes patterns for Swedish embroidery. Check it out here.

This popular booklet by Coats and Clark has been reprinted several times (I own one and I love the patterns). It features Swedish weaving along with other types of needlework.

Avery Hill also provides free instructions. These appear to be vintage, but the age isn't indicated.

One word of warning... I've heard people say that they have trouble finding the huck toweling or monk's cloth needed for these projects. My local Jo-Ann Fabrics sells it, but you may have to look online!

1 comment:

  1. I love huck embroidery! I've never tried it, but I just love how it looks. There's a Craftster member who does some really great huck work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We hope you'll enjoy the community here at EtsyNEAT!