September 14, 2011

Featured Member SewJenaissance


Tell us a bit about yourself and your shop.

I'm a stay at home mom to an eight-year old girl, three cats, and a dog. Both of my parents were artists, though my mom was also crafty, which is where I get my love of doing things with my hands. I don't have any formal training (should I admit that?) but I love learning new things so I'm always trying different craft mediums. 

My sewing shop is relatively new, having just opened in May of this year. I am filling it with hand embroidery patterns and finished hoop art. I hope to expand to include some fun notions before the end of the year. I like mixing media types so some of my finished art includes paper, beads, and crocheted appliques. 



What or Who inspires you?
I'm inspired by all the talented artisans I find across the web. I discovered Pinterest not long ago and find that it's my new go-to site for inspiration. I also have a very deep love for the natural world and find myself drawn to earthy materials and colors. 




When you're not doing things for your shop can we find you around the internet?

I blog at sewjenaissance.blogspot.com, I tumbl at sewjenaissance.tumblr.com/, I tweet as twitter.com/sewjenaissance, I facebook at www.facebook.com/sewjenaissance, I have a flickr group here: www.flickr.com/groups/sewjenaissance/ for people who stitch my patterns and want to show off their work.


What's your favorite stitch or what do you like most about needlework?
I think what I love most about needlework are the textures you can create. . Depending on the stitch and/or thread, you can create so many different surfaces. 







Where do you like to stitch (do you have a cozy spot, a favorite chair, a totally tricked out studio?)
I like to stitch in a large, overstuffed comfy chair by an open garden window in a tiny cottage in the English countryside. That being said, I actually stitch in a chair in my living room with about a gazillion lights blazing so I can see what I'm doing. :) 

How did you learn to stitch?
My mom taught me the very basics of embroidery when I was young, since then I'm self taught using the many fabulous resources on the internet as well as books from my local library. There is a lot of trial and error, unpicking stitches, false-starts, and ruined fabric.. but eventually I figure it out. 



Do you have any questions you are looking for answers to that you would like to send out to the needlework community? 
What is your favorite hand embroidery resource? 


(And just for fun) If you were a pizza topping, what pizza topping would you be? 
I would be basil – fresh and sweet at the same time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We hope you'll enjoy the community here at EtsyNEAT!